Sunday, January 29, 2006

More About The Steelers Nation

Last week we had fun making fun of the Baltimore Sun writer and his utter ignorance about the Steelers Nation. A few days later another editorial was written that I believe is worth reading. Enjoy...

Rooting for Steelers takes me to family's Pittsburgh roots
By Mary Beth Kozak

Originally published January 26, 2006

Pittsburgh has waited 26 years for a ring for its thumb.I was not born when they last won the Super Bowl.
I grew up a Steelers fan, and while most people in Baltimore cringe when I admit that, I can't help but grin.Although I have lived in Maryland the majority of my life, I spent my summers and every major holiday in Pittsburgh with my grandparents.Many ask me why I never relinquished my devotion to the Steelers.The answer is simple.The Colts escaped in the middle of the night in 1984. I was 3. I had no ties to the team, and if you had asked me what color its uniforms were back then, I'd probably have said pink and purple because those were my favorite colors.The Cleveland Browns became the Ravens in 1996 and by then, it was too late.When the Steelers made the playoffs this season after falling to 7-5, I was relieved. But nothing could prepare me for the wild ride on the road to the Super Bowl.I never fathomed they could defeat the AFC's top three seeds. When the players emptied the water cooler on coach Bill Cowher in the final minute of the Steelers' 34-17 win over the Denver Broncos on Sunday, a thousand memories rushed through my mind - the first of which was of my grandfather.There are always many references to Pittsburgh being a blue-collar city. It is filled with loyal people who work hard and love their football.The Steelers and their city have a long and rich history that intertwines far from the playing field.My grandfather worked for Heyl & Patterson, a structured steel plant, for 40 years. Many members of my family worked in the plants and mills, and the Steelers were a topic that could make them forget their troubles - even if only for an afternoon.I have vivid memories of sitting with my grandfather watching the Steelers and later resting on the porch while I listened to him discuss the team with the neighbors.I grew up listening to stories of the Steel Curtain dynasty (although I admit for the first seven years of my life I couldn't understand why anyone would want curtains made of steel). Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann, Franco Harris, John Stallworth and Jack Lambert were mythical figures to me, but they have all been present at our dinner table at one time or another.I have always admired the Pittsburgh organization from the Rooneys to the coaches. Art Rooney knew what he was doing when he bought the expansion team, then the Pirates, in 1933.He knew the people, he knew the city and he knew they would embrace a team with a hard-nosed work ethic and style.Since 1969, the Steelers have had two head coaches, Hall of Famer Chuck Noll and Cowher.Pittsburgh loves loyalty. The Rooney family and the fans know that and are proud to embrace their success.My favorite player when I was young was Swann because he took ballet to improve his balance and flexibility. My favorite thing to do during the games was to wave my Terrible Towel.Many people may not know the Terrible Towel was created because of the Baltimore Colts. In a 1975 playoff game against the Colts, Pittsburgh broadcaster Myron Cope told the fans to grab the yellow towels out of their kitchens and wave them around to create a more intense environment.With all the talk of Jerome Bettis finally going home to play in his first Super Bowl and probably the last game of his 13-year career, I couldn't help but smile because he and his team finally brought me home.My grandfather has since passed away and his house is a shell of what it once was. My family has moved on and has begun its own Sunday traditions with the next generation of Steelers fans - starting with my 4-year-old niece. I hope that as she gets older, the Steelers will bring her home, as well.

marybeth.kozak@baltsun.com

No comments: