Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Roethlisberger reads more than defenses




By Teresa Varley


Steelers.com




He is used to just reading his playbook but on Tuesday Ben Roethlisberger branched out.Roethlisberger, the national spokesperson for September’s Library Card Sign-Up Month, visited Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh’s main branch and read to a group of kids as part of their story time group.
Roethlisberger opted for the book “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” by Jon Scieszka, a fairytale that gives a different view point, this one from the perspective of the ‘big, bad wolf.”
“It was a different way to tell a story that everyone has heard,” said Roethlisberger. “Every one knows the three little pigs story and it was interesting to hear a different side of the story.”

After reading the book Roethlisberger took questions from the kids, including how he got started playing football and if he likes Pittsburgh’s other sports teams. He also was asked about if he read as a kid.
“I don’t know if they still make them but I used to read the Hardy Boys books,” said Roethlisberger. “Those were my favorites. I liked the detective books. That was my second favorite thing I wanted to do, be a detective. Maybe someday when I retire I will be a detective.”
The last book that Roethlisberger read was Arizona Cardinal’s quarterback Kurt Warner’s autobiography. He also enjoys other books about athlete’s lives these days, including Jerome Bettis and Brett Favre’s books.He doesn’t have any plans for a book of his own for a long time, though.
“Not any time soon. Not until I am done playing,” he quipped.
Roethlisberger helped to present all of the kids on hand with a new library card and he didn’t leave empty-handed as he received a new card as well.“I think it’s important to try and get kids in the library and get them to read,” said Roethlisberger, who used to visit the public library in Findlay, Ohio growing up. “It’s so important. My parents always encouraged me to read and it helped me become a better speaker. I think that’s important also, for people to read and gain knowledge and become speakers. It helps kids to learn.””I really want to encourage kids to get their library card.”




No comments: