Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Steelers Style!







A scary night for some Steelers






Wednesday, October 31, 2007
By Teresa VarleySteelers.com






Some Steelers players got an early jump on Halloween when they hosted a fund-raiser at the Hundred Acres Manor Haunted House in Pittsburgh’s South Park.

Kicker Jeff Reed and long snapper Greg Warren organized the event, which benefitted Animal Friends and Homeless Children’s Education Fund.
Players signed autographs and posed for pictures with fans, but that was just a prelude to the eerie happenings that would soon come.

The plan was for many of the Steelers players to hide out in the haunted house and scare those who attended, but the tables were turned and it was some of the players who were a bit jumpy and let out some screams of their own.

Players and team staff were led into the house before it opened and some quickly learned it wasn’t going to be a smooth ride. Whether it was the haunted house’s “graveyard” or “psych ward,” every turn had something unexpected and made more than a few people jumpy.

“It was a lot of fun, but it was scary,” admitted wide receiver Santonio Holmes. “There were a lot of people just jumping out, grabbing at your legs, jumping out in front of you when you didn’t expect them. Especially around the corners they would jump out. Every time you turned a corner there was a new person there ready to scare somebody. I had a real good time though.”

Fellow wide receiver Nate Washington didn’t even want to enter the house, so instead he got in costume of a black hooded robe, full face paint and was a wielding a chain saw to scare his teammates while they made their way through the house.

“I just went through the back area,” said Washington. “I didn’t go through the whole house. I can’t do that. If I would have gone through there they would have had to carry me up out of there. I would have fainted.

“It was definitely fun scaring the guys. The only person I couldn’t find to scare was Carey Davis. He was hard to find. Santonio Holmes was the worst, hands down. I saw people scare the heck out of him.”

And Holmes didn’t deny that his teammate was one of the scarier aspects of the night.

“He got me twice,” said Holmes, who first encountered Washington in a maze that had every player turning the wrong way. “He is the one who made me lose my phone in the maze and I had to go back and find my phone. He had a chain saw chasing after me.

“He was the worst part. He got me real good with that one.”

After finishing their tour the fun continued for the players. They headed to the makeup room, where all of the players got into costume and were then placed around the house to scare the evening’s customers.

“Who isn’t a fan of haunted houses?” said offensive tackle Max Starks. “I hadn’t been to one in so long. The last time I went was when I was in college, just because of our time constraints. Having this opportunity to support the charities is was a great opportunity.

“I scare them on the football field, might as well scare them off the field.”

No comments: