Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Possible Low Point For the 2005 Season.


If you are anything like myself, you may still be a little depressed with our performance on Sunday against the Ravens. I was happy to see the Steelers in person, but disgruntled with the effort on the field. Several of you have e-mailed or called me with comments and criticism with Tommy Maddox. I will not attempt to defend him, and I think we need to address the backup QB position in the off season. Is Charlie Batch our backup or do we look elsewhere for the number two? I love Tommy to death. I think he is a great guy, does a lot for the community, and had a heck of a run for us a couple of seasons ago. His nickname in college was "Turnover Tommy". In the past I could deal with his immobility and being turnover prone because of the way he carried himself both on and off the field. He no longer has that swagger and it is evident that the team does not believe in him by the way they react and follow his lead. His confidence is shaken, and he has lost that "Gun Slinger" mentality he used to have. I do not think he will ever get it back at his age, and I hate to see his last days in Pittsburgh end this way. That being said, life goes on... We have a much larger issue to deal with...The undefeated Indy Colts. There is a possibility that we could lose our next three games against the Colts, Bengals, & Bears. I do not see this happening, but it just goes to show the quality of the next three opponents. In the NFL you need to win the the games you "should win". The Baltimore game was one of those games. Remember both this past game and the Jags game come January. Two lost opportunities. One player does not make a team, but it surely illustrates how important Big Ben is to this team. My closing comment about the Baltimore game is a comment directed at Bill Cowher. Why did we not bring Ben in for a couple of series against the Ravens to shake off some of the rust? If we were concerned about him getting hurt, why allow him to dress? Bring Rod Rutherford up from the practice squad! End of story.

No comments: